Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Where to start. A Clockwork Orange is a really difficult read. Not because of the use of experimental language that Burgess proffers, although it does take a while to get into his rhythm, but because of the sheer amount of violence (I do not view the rape of ten year old girls as worthy entertainment). Its not just the never ending occurrence of unnecessary violence, but the unapologetic nature of the protagonist Alex who actively seeks 'ultra-violence'. It is all that he lives for- that and Beethoven. This is not a novel that I would recommend to my grandmother but if you venture to read it be sure to pick up a UK version, not the US version. The UK version has the final chapter that was omitted by the Americans and undoubtedly finishes the novel in a more positive aspect.

3 comments:

  1. do you know what the Yanks omitted the last chapter? I'm curious now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically to shorten the novel. They didn't see a point to it so they just gave it the chop. If you've seen Kubrick's film he has followed the Yank version, which I think is a shame as the final chapter tends to redeem Alex somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you worked out I meant 'why' when when I said 'what'. I've not seen the film due to some tosser I knew once carrying on about how great it was. Maybe I will read the UK version, will put it on the long list.

    ReplyDelete