Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann

Excellent reading! This book about the fabled city of El Dorado and the man it cast its spell on is totally enthralling and captivating. It made me want to pack up my current life and go blindly into the Amazon in search of P. H. Fawcett and his lost City of Z. I highly doubt they make men like Fawcett anymore. This man seemed totally invincible and impervious to every torture and lethal object that the jungle threw at him. I think it is perhaps for this reason that so many people went in search of the missing explorer. The mortality rate for these men (and occasional woman) was huge. Grann reveals, through both Fawcett's journeys and those that went looking for him up to 85 yrs after his disappearance, how lethal, scary, and ultimately fatal the Amazon can be. I cannot praise Grann's piece of work enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment