Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Down Under by Bill Bryson

A big fan of Bill Bryson's work I was super excited at the prospect of reading of his traveling adventures through my own country. I made slow progress through the first few chapters and, fed up with his derision of Australia on his journey by train across the continent, and his particularly biased views on white Australian's treatment of the Aborigines, I put the book down. I came back again a couple of months later and I am glad I did so. The remainder of  Down Under is classic Bryson. He is smart, witty, funny, and highly entertaining. His interpretation of cricket is very amusing and its worth reading the book just for that. Although it was a rough road to start with reading Down Under, Bryson still remains my number one travel writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment